Solar panels work off of the power of the sun to generate electricity for your home. The solar energy production process follows the following steps:
- When sunlight hits your solar array, photons and electrons interact with each other. This results in an electrical current.
- This electrical current travels from the panels to your solar inverter, where it’s converted into usable energy for your home.
- The energy flows from the inverter to your breaker box, which circulates electricity throughout your home.
- Any excess electricity can be stored in your Generac battery backup for later use. Depending on your area, this excess energy might also be used for net metering purposes, meaning it can be sent back to the grid and used to earn energy credits on your next electric bill.
Benefits Of Solar In Detroit
There are multiple reasons that you should consider solar panels for your Detroit home. There are not only potential financial benefits, but there are also environmental factors and the potential for a major return on your investment.
- Own Your Power — You can reduce your vulnerability to rising energy costs by generating your own electricity and setting up your home to be less reliant on the grid.
- Potentially Reduce Your Electric Bill — Energy produced by your solar system could potentially save you thousands of dollars on your electric bills over the years.
- Qualify For Federal Tax Credit — Qualified homeowners can currently claim a federal tax credit of up to 26% for installing solar panels on their property.5
- Potentially Increase Your Property’s Value — Solar panel systems might increase your home’s value, which could allow you to potentially get an increased return on investment if you choose to sell your home.
- Reduce Your Carbon Footprint — Opting to use a clean alternative to fossil fuels can easily reduce your carbon footprint and allow you to do your part to protect our planet.
What Happens To Excess Solar Energy?
During times of peak efficiency, it’s possible that your solar panel system will be producing more energy than you need to keep your home running. In the event that you don’t need all of the electricity that your system produces, there are a couple of ways that you can make sure it isn’t wasted.
Store excess energy in a backup battery.3
If your panels produce excess energy, the extra power can be stored in your Generac battery backup to be used in the event of a grid power outage or at night when your panels are not producing any electricity. In addition, the stored energy can fill the gaps when your home’s solar panels are not producing at full capacity.
Use excess energy via net metering.
Net metering is the process of sending extra energy that your solar panels produce back to the grid in exchange for credits on future electric bills. If your panels produce extra energy, you can be credited for the energy you sell back (often at a 1-to-1 ratio), meaning that you sell it back at the same price you would buy it. This is a great incentive for using solar energy, but it’s important to note that some utility companies do not offer net metering. Availability, excess credits and other requirements vary by area and utility providers.
Solar Panel Installation In Detroit
- Begin with a free quote. Our solar experts will contact you to discuss the potential benefits of going solar. During this conversation, we’ll ensure that you’re a good candidate for solar panels and schedule your free in-home consultation.
- One of our solar consultants will evaluate your home and electric bills in person. With this information, they will be able to estimate what size solar system will work best for your home. After the estimate, you will receive a custom proposal that addresses your home’s unique energy needs. Once you’ve signed your contract, we’ll get to work on preparing for installation!
- On the day of your installation, our team will arrive on time at your home to start carefully installing your solar panels. Our process prevents damage to your roof while maximizing the potential for efficiency. The process usually only takes a day or two. We’ll also carefully test your system and clean up our workspace after installation.
Cost Of Solar
Solar energy has become more affordable for Detroit homeowners in recent years! However, the cost of a solar system varies depending on your home, your energy usage and your energy goals. With the help of our experts, you can create a solution for your home that will include how many solar panels you need to keep your home running.
The cost of solar panels is calculated based on dollars per watt. We calculate the number of panels you need based on the number of watts your home typically uses. Once we have that number, we can effectively design a custom solar solution for your home.
Your Detroit Solar Panel Installation Cost Includes The Following:
This includes the solar panels, inverters, wiring, conduit, mounting racks and mounting hardware.
A Custom Solar System
Once you sign the contract, our team begins designing a system, filing the relevant permits and proceeding with the setup for your installation.
A Time And Date For Your Installation
On the day of installation, our team carefully installs and tests your system to ensure that it’s working properly, then cleans up your property as though we were never there!
Ready to go solar? Here’s how you can finance your Detroit solar panel installation.
PHS Financial Program
- POWERHOME SOLAR offers competitive financing to do our part in making solar accessible and affordable to our customers. Our financial program offers those who qualify a $0 up-front cost and 12 months of savings on us.1
- You can obtain a loan either through your own source or through ours, which specializes in solar. This allows for a $0 down payment and 100% financing for qualified customers.
- To maximize your solar investment, you can pay up-front, in full for your solar panels. This means your new electric bill will immediately reflect your potential savings and you can take advantage of home equity loans that might be tax-deductible.
POWERHOME SOLAR is proud to offer high-quality solar panels that offer superior reliability and performance.
Solar Panel Warranties
Our panels come with two types of warranty:
- A minimum 25-year linear power performance guarantee.
- A 25-year product workmanship guarantee. A solar panel’s product warranty covers any issues with manufacturing defects or premature wear and tear on your panels.
Your solar panels are built to last, and so is your inverter! Your inverter comes with a 10-year warranty, and as the installer of the system, our team will take care of any warranty issues that might arise.
These warranties are designed to ensure that you are able to replace bad panels or address any potential issues with your system post-installation. POWERHOME SOLAR uses panels that are guaranteed to operate at approximately 85% capacity after 25 years and rarely have issues. But in the event that there are any problems, our customers can rest assured that we will be able to address them and rectify the situation.